Canada housing

Navigating your first month as an international student in Canada:

Canada is considered the ideal destination to pursue higher education abroad for international students due to various reasons. According to the data from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), as of December 31st, 2022, there were over 800,000 international students in Canada holding valid study permits.

With every year more students coming to Canada, there is a guide for international students to navigate their first 30-day journey in the country.


Most of the students look for accommodation near their colleges or university campuses with the help of a designated learning institution (DLI). Even students can take advantage of the university’s housing rental portals to find suitable accommodation. Apart from these, there are a few official websites and social media sites that assist students in finding the right rental properties for them, including:

Landlords in Canada usually ask students for a one-year lease. Moreover, a healthy credit score is often required to assess a candidate’s ability to pay rent.

It is advisable to look for accommodation near school or university, as the biggest expense of commuting to university is going to cut.

Phone with a local number:

In today’s time, it is required to have a cellphone with a local number, which will keep you connected to family and friends. However, there are multiple cell phone pricing plans available on the market, depending on the services included in the plan and the length of the plan.

Students who have a credit history in Canada will be eligible for post-paid plans. New phone plans are usually available in mall kiosks, airports, or even at a store. Anyone with a healthy credit history will get a new phone plan online through a service provider.

Bank Account:

A bank account is considered one of the most essential things that a student must have right after entering Canada. Through this bank account, students can make payments for daily essentials. To open a bank account as an international student, you will need the following documents:

  • Study permit
  • Passport
  • Student Identification Card
  • Letter of Acceptance
  • Proof of Residence

There are multiple banks that offer special banking facilities to newcomers to Canada. Even better, go for a credit card, which is equal to financial protection and building a healthy credit score.

Student support:

Usually, educational institutions provide students with multiple services, including housing support, language training, and student support. Even though there are established career centers at the university, they help students with their future prospects.

Universities or colleges in Canada never fail to support students at each step, from letting them easily settle into the university to resume building and job interview preparation.

Getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN):

To work in Canada and access government services, you will require a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which is a nine-digit number. There are multiple ways to get a Canadian SIN.

  1. Apply online for an eSIN; this is the quickest and easiest way to get a SIN. You may need to upload digital copies of your documents.
  2. Apply for SIN in person; this service is offered at educational institutions or community organizations. You just need to book an appointment at the nearby Service Canada Centre.

As an international student pursuing higher education abroad, your first month will set the stage for the rest of your time in Canada. It’s a time for learning and development as you find your own way. A successful arrival in Canada can be ensured by following these instructions and making the most of the chances presented to you.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *